



## University Sustainability Committee

May, 2023

**Members Present:** Victor Cohen, Bill Guess, Todd Culp, Scott Crow, David Turnipseed, Diane Nichols, Amaya Douglas

Guest: Savannah Wallace

Welcome everybody

**Victor:** The minutes from the April 5 meeting do you have a copy of that?

I'll give you a few minutes to scan over it, and then I'd ask for a motion for acceptance.

**Bill:** Noted there needed to be correction to the minutes from April's Meeting. Instead of Plastic recycling it should have started cardboard recycling. Recycling was referenced in 2 parts. We were at eight tons last month and 280 lb. Of plastics per week. Bill also mentioned cardboard is not making any money.

Victor: Does the chair have a motion for acceptance with the corrections.

Second, all those in favor pose.

### Work groups/ Sub-Committees

#### Marketing & Communications

**Diane:** I'm, after the last meeting, I talked to Kelly Rushing about what we could do on the website.

And everything that we talked about was doable, one thing we did do is add, just pull down to the bottom.

We have a link to the most recent Earth Day Event. She also stated that linking other opportunities on campus is also doable it's just a process of

getting all that information to me to get on the website, and trying to consolidate where everything is.

**Victor/ Diane:** Suggested getting all information sent to Diane via email, and then she can put it where it needs to go.

**Diane** also suggested once all information is gathered from various groups there could be links to display different ways to get involved on the Sustainability website with contact information and meeting days. She doesn't think there is information out there already but listing them would be helpful. We just need to bear it out what is going on, and how are we going to get that information sources?

**Bill:** Stated we have 2 different sources such as the Student Groups, and we have the campus, the faculty, staff activities.

Bill says he sees some things on the Digest that I always wonder why it's not kind of feeding into this

**Victor:** Mentioned Dr. Wu Just did something and it was published on the digest

**Diane:** Stated her office manages the Digest but it doesn't come through her for approval like most emails. It would just be a matter of looking through all of the info.

**Bill:** I see the marine sciences, and after doing some things, the biology dept. and college medicine group he didn't know about, so I didn't see that one to you.

**Victor:** I'm going to start pushing that kind of language to submit it, or link it to Diane to create a section there that has campus wide activities going on.

**Bill:** Suggested putting something in the digest, for those who read can set a reminder for those Sustainability activities.

There's a list of registration reports, as well as potential reaching up to Coleman with contact information to the executive numbers on the Student level as well as the Advisors. They can potentially send out emails directly to those who anticipate having events like this.

**Bill:** stated we have a new person who's managing the garden. He didn't say which group he was associated with but will share the information with everyone about the

**Victor:** For everything sustainability, please link in or loop in, or send to Diane.

**Diane** suggested sending a link preferably with a website or that person's email and contact information.

**Diane** also said that she will add something to the Digest that will solicit this type of information as well outlining the website, contact information, name of organization when they meet etc.

Victor stated the more information we get the more info we get could dictate how we can reorganize the site.

Diane suggested adding a section saying Sustainability around campus since they all will not always fall under the same category.

**Victor:** More notable on the student side, biology Student Association has probably been the most visual, but we know that engineering has a group, um, um, with the Green Jags merged into biology.

HTM has a group that's doing things as it relates to sustainability.

There are a number of different groups that are doing something related to sustainability. I think once you put that out there it will start to hit Diane's inbox

**Bill** asked if there was an environmental person appointed to the SGA?

SGA Rep: stated she has not appointed an environmental cabinet member yet but has a cabinet member for Community Engagement who is taking on the misc. gaps She's singing on things such as the Jag Country, as well as one big project from

**Bill:** Says Jag Country ties into the Garden that actually supplies some of the programs.

**Victor:** When the next meeting, amount announcements go out, it's going to go to SGA

if you want to add the Community Engagement member to that, so she gets it as well, she'll know when the next meeting is, and we'd love to see her see her

## **Operations**

**Todd/Bill:**

**Todd:** Stated Operations did 18 bales last month, and looks like they have 15 more bales of cardboard ready to go.

We recycled 64 batteries, 40 lbs. They also recycled starters and water pumps.

They really don't keep up with that that much but wanted to let you know we do.

**Todd:** You have to turn the starters in to get the coil, so they recycle them.

They do the same thing with water pumps and spark plugs. Any other kind of metal they pull out, goes to the metal recycling and being down in the center utilities. If it does need to be recycled, it just does through that department.

**Todd:** Stated that Central Utilities do a lot of recycling the metal down there. They've also had 113 tires in the recycle bins and 80 bags and plastic and aluminum that's been taken down to recycle the different parts.

This is considered summer weight. Operations won't get into the tonnage until August or September.

**Diane:** Asked were they planning that the truck be set up at the residence' halls?

Todd: stated Yes, the truck will be parked. Be part of that along with some movers and someone to help with recycling while moving out.

We have someone stationed by some ground trucks and then a couple of custodian scanners here and there.

Trying to keep people from throwing trash in those bins.

**Scott:** Stated they have about six staged equipment operators and stuff like that to crush. Dumpsters are all trash and need beans, and we still end up with a lot of development when we're done.

**Scott:** We've spent a good bit of time last year, actually, in the dumpsters.

First thing about the next morning is what they'll do if they come out and we're all gone and throw them all in there.

We get here at seven and go, dump it out for a little bit, pull out as much as we can.

**Bill:** I did notice that housing has Goodwill donation boxes everywhere for people who want to get clothes and all that, where they're moving out, or whenever.

They're located in the housing area all over.

Savannah says she usually make the rounds through Azalea and Chameleon, mainly picking up, volunteering to take people's boxes as they unpack them

but heard this year they're doing something different. If you're on the second floor for example you come in a certain time slot, and then make the elevator, so it'll only go up to that floor.

They're staggering when people are moving in.

## **Academic and Innovation.**

Dr. Carol Sawyer is not here today.

**Steven/ Gulf Scholars:** The big update, I guess, from last time is we did finish recruiting our first group of Gulf Scholars. Gulf Scholars has 12 scholars that are largely freshman and sophomore. When they show back up on campus in August, we're going to hopefully have some potential project ideas to float to them to see what they might want to get involved in. If there's anything from this group that would benefit from having a highly motivated undergrad engaged, we could come up with a couple of project ideas and he can send that request directly to the group.

Steven mentioned that we had a social science methods workshop on campus last week, and one of the people here from Michigan State was really involved in their early Ashy Star certification. They spoke with them a little bit and exchanged some contacts.

They said they would be happy to host anything from a visit up there at Michigan State or a phone call, or whatever we might want to do with that gained momentum again.

Steven stated that he is in one of the like Sustainability across the curriculum, working groups for the summer and would love to go back this fall if I can work it into my schedule in Boston.

**Bill** asked about the rain gardens and all that activity.

**Scott:** Says it has all been sent up since we last met. Says they wrapped up budget numbers, and is relaying up to all the different offices that needed the standard approval.

I think the target date for those funds was that they had to be used by the end of September. Hopefully we hear something in the near future.

## **Planning and Administration.**

No Updates

**Victor:** Biology Student Association. not here today.

**Bill** is working on getting some photos from them.

I think we did receive some photos, and passed it on.

Victor: Dr. Hwang couldn't make it today either. But she has an update to the survey that she is doing, the study she's doing through HTM, sustainability of the containers that's being used by food service entities.

She's got some data she's continued to compile as relates to that and she'll be back too.

Victor: I talked to Dr. Kent as well about the addition of a few additional folks to the committee. She'll be sending those letters. Dr. Kent will send it out as we approach the fall semester so we'll see some different faces, additional faces at this table. So that's a good thing and we need more help.

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, and if you've got additional students that's just got that burning desire as it relates to sustainability.

### **New business/Floor is open.**

We have a lot of construction going on campus.

That's not going to interfere with anything from a sustainability standpoint, other than blocking drainage for a while.

But other than that, we all should be good as it relates to the campus.

Campus should remain healthy through all of that. I am shocked we didn't get any concerns about the number of trees that were cut down.

I'm working on, and this is through the book in the facilities office on, a more culture master plan for our University master plan.

As far as we don't have anything outlined for tree replacement plans.

Well, more places in the when, how, what kind of size trees are going in, and so on and so forth.

Oaks that's kind of part of the course, when they get about 50 years old, they like to fall apart.

You can, you can cut on them for ten years, trying to save them in the middle of all anyways that's a tough tree in a tough location.

There's no budget being owns any planet place that comes out of the grounds budget so it's really outlining and putting up a driven plan in place so that, um, you know, the state and other people that look at that master plan have seen that we take the steps to alleviate some of those factory losses that we do experience on campus. With a growing campus, that's just kind of what we do urban forestry is to replace what you can so you can, well, most of the projects you put in more trees.

Next meeting will be in August. We'll send out a doodle poll so that everybody can weigh in on what's available to them.

I know that's a busy, busy time. The front part of it, you're trying to finish up your summer vacations and the, the, the, the back part of it, you're trying to recuperate from the middle week that we're loading everybody in, even if it's just to get reacquainted with some kind of committee meeting.

If there is nothing else, all motions are adjourned.

\*No second.

Meeting adjourned at 02:40 p.m.